Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Preschool for Jacob


It has been an eventful last couple of weeks for Jacob, especially.  Last week he had another EEG for the Dr.'s to see how his head is doing.  I had to sleep deprive him for a day and a half before so they could be sure to get him sleeping for the EEG.  I kept him up from his nap the day before, put him to bed late, and then woke him up early the morning of the EEG.  I had a feeling it was going to be a miracle to get him there in the car without him falling asleep.  I was doing really good keeping him awake too, until the last mile.  I let my guard down and looked back to see him snoozing away.  I was able to wake him up when I got him out of the car, but boy was he grumpy!  He was, lets just say, less than cooperative while the nurse was trying to put on the leads.  I had to hold his left arm down and try to hold his head still at the same time.  It was quite interesting.  Jacob is a lot stronger than he looks!  She finally got them done though without having to sedate him, then I had to get him to sleep.  I laid with him, rubbed his forehead and sang to him.  It took about 15 minutes or so, but he finally dozed off.  He was asleep for about 5 minutes when she came in and said, "OK, we are all done".  so then he was awake for the rest of the day for us to deal with.  Needless to say, he went to bed right after dinner, messy hair and all. We are still waiting to hear results of the EEG, but I am going to assume that no news is good news for now.
EEG hair

We also had a meeting with the school district at the developmental preschool that Jacob will be attending.  It went pretty good and all of Jacob's therapists came which I thought was very cool.  We met his Teacher, his Principle, school Nurse, Psychologist, and other important people that would be involved in his daily activities.  It was a good meeting and they said he was ready for his 2 week observation which could start this week.  So I dropped him off for his first day this morning.  I thought I would be just fine, and I was, until I started driving out of the parking lot and all of a sudden it hit me, I got all teared up.  This is the first time I have ever left him with anyone that was not family (other than his surgery).  I can say I am watching the clock this morning until pick up time.  I am sure it will get easier every day, at least he seemed to handle it well.

I thought I would post a short video clip for everyone to see him.  He was in the bathtub, but I was able to film without showing anything (I think).  It shows him saying hi, and play, and some of his jabbering that none of us know what means (if anyone can figure it out, let me know).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baseball is in "full Swing"

It is baseball season in the Wilkison house and all three boys are playing, so that has kept us pretty busy.  We seem to have eith...