Monday, March 21, 2011

Rough Day

Today, Jacob woke up pretty irritable.  Josh and I got to the hospital pretty early so we could be there in case the Doctors came in because we heard they were going to be there at 7:30 am.  Of course the doctors didn't come in until around 8:15, but at least we were there in plenty of  time.  Jacob was crying and fussing because he was cranky and hungry.  He has been on a steroid ever since the surgery to prevent swelling in his brain, and it has made him extremely hungry.  He is being weened off of it and should be done with it on Wednesday, but is starting to show signs of looking like the Pillsbury dough boy and has gained 1.4 lbs in the last week and a half.  He missed his first therapy appointment at 8:30 am due to a lot of crying and him being a bit difficult taking his medicine, but I was able to get it down him and have him calmed down by his 9:00 am session.  He finished his morning therapies with a little complaining and a bit of drooling, and we decided to try giving him some Tylenol.  After that I was able to get him to take a nap and he seemed to wake up in a much better mood.  He made it through his afternoon therapies without too many complaints and we then settled for a little nap in the afternoon.  His somewhat good mood was fairly shot lived though, because he woke up form his afternoon nap and seemed irritable again.  I don't quite know why.  Maybe he is cutting some molars?  Maybe weening him off the steroid is making him cranky?  I am just not sure, and I hate that feeling.  Hopefully he will rest well tonight and tomorrow will be a better day for him (and I got them to adjust the therapy schedule so it is not quite so early for him). 

This picture is of him sitting up by himself and Josh holding his hand (taken with my phone), which is somewhat incredible considering he could not even hold himself up by himself yesterday.

Joshua was a good trooper, he hung out at the hospital all day with not much to do except schoolwork, and did not complain too much.  He even was able to help the therapists in keeping Jacob interested in what they wanted him to do at times.  He really is a good big brother and I can see Jacob looks up to him a lot. Hopefully we can get him doing something more exciting tomorrow.  I also promised one more trip to the zoo this week, so I will break away in the next couple of days and keep my promise.

1 comment:

  1. That picture makes me happy! What a good big brother and I'm excited that Jacob is sitting up and all that stuff. I hope today is going better. Thanks for keeping us all updated!!

    ReplyDelete

Baseball is in "full Swing"

It is baseball season in the Wilkison house and all three boys are playing, so that has kept us pretty busy.  We seem to have eith...