Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Field Trip (and 2 Days to Go)

Jacob getting ready to go down
Today Jacob's morning therapy included a trip to a close by playground.  He had the Physical Therapists there and the Recreational Therapist there to help him with managing the stairs and going down the slide.   We went with another little girl that is also on the rehab unit in Seattle Children's Hospital and Jacob was talking and babbling to her the whole way over.  Kelly (one of Jacob's PT) said she even saw him blow her a kiss.  My little man, a true flirt, always a ladies man (even to the older girls)! They had a good time and even had a chance to burn off some energy.  After that we came back, had lunch, and he took a good nap before his afternoon therapies started again. 
He was a bit more tired than usual today, because they increased his new medication and made a decrease in the other one he has been on, but he pulled through in a pretty good mood all day.  I have had a bit of trouble giving him his medicine lately, he thinks he can just hold it in his mouth for a while and then spit it out.  This morning our little stand off lasted almost 10 minutes with just one mouthful.  He tried to spit it back at me, but I said in a very strong Mom voice "NO", and ended up scarring him in to swallowing most of it.  Then he sat in my lap and cried Momma, Momma, Momma to me.  So I asked his doctor if we could try another form of the medication.  They set us up tonight with the sprinkle capsules and we put it in some yogurt and it went much easier.  I think we will try those for a while. 
We also had another visit form my Dad's friend Mike.  Jacob had fun playing with him and listening to a song on his computer and dancing a bit and then we all took Jacob's dinner to the cafeteria and ate together.  He was pretty tired though and called it an early night.  Tomorrow he has a hearing test first thing in the morning and then back to his therapies, so it will be another big day.  I am happy though, because it means I only have one more night I have to sleep at the hospital, before we check him out and make our way home on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baseball is in "full Swing"

It is baseball season in the Wilkison house and all three boys are playing, so that has kept us pretty busy.  We seem to have eith...