Monday, April 11, 2011

Last Weekend in Hospital

I can't believe it is finally here, our last weekend in the hospital.  Next weekend we will be on our way home.
Luckily Jacob got out of isolation before the weekend, and since they can't keep me in isolation, we were able to get our passes for Saturday and Sunday.  
Watching the jellyfish
next to the jellyfish color changing tank
Saturday Jacob still had a half day of therapy, so we did that in the morning.  My cold was in full swing by the time I woke up and the doctor on duty for the weekend even had to ask the nurse if I was allowed to be there (the nurse just said "what are we going to do, kick her out and leave him alone?").  I assured them I would wash my hands a lot and wear a mask when leaving the room and stay out of the family room, and they were OK with that.  When the therapists came though, I was relieved to see it was ones Jacob knew well, and I had no problem sending him off to work with them by himself.  He did well, I was told, and was nearly running around with them (which I am sorry I missed).  He is getting more and more confident with his walking and has even ventured to take a few steps by himself.  Sometimes he even tries to bat your hand away so that you don't hold him.  After his therapy, he had lunch and napped for a little while.  When he woke up we decided to get out for a short time and went to explore a store up the street a ways.  It turned out to be a joke shop and had quite a few odd and different things (like bacon air fresheners and bacon gum).  We then went to dinner, and luckily it was loud and kid friendly, so no one seemed to mind Jacob's occasional out bursts. 
It was my night to stay at the Ronald McDonald house, which was a good thing, because my nose was running worse than ever and I don't think the nurses would have liked me to stay, so I left my Mom and Jacob to get ready for bed and I headed to get some rest myself.
Playing in the touch pool
When I woke up Sunday morning, I was feeling much better, and I had dried up quite a bit, so I headed back over to the hospital to pick Jacob and Mom up for a trip to the Aquarium.  The RM house gave us a couple of passes to the Aquarium, so we thought it would be a fun thing to take Jacob and go since it was a rainy day.  He had a pretty good time looking at all of the fish (and even the people).   We then headed to the RM house to eat dinner, because someone was hosting a dinner there.  It turned out to be gumbo, beans and rice, salad, collard greens, and bread pudding.  It was good, but a bit on the spicy side, and not very kid or pregnant woman friendly.  We ate it up any way and I am sure I will regret some of it tonight.  Jacob seemed to like the bread pudding the best.  After that we came back to the hospital so I could give him a bath and get ready for bed.  I think we wore the little crazy man out, because he went down pretty easy.  Hopefully we both sleep pretty well tonight.  Maybe tomorrow I can get more video of him taking steps, maybe even some by himself.
One of the fish Jacob was looking at
mesmerized by the fish in the tank
sitting on a wooden sea otter watching people

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baseball is in "full Swing"

It is baseball season in the Wilkison house and all three boys are playing, so that has kept us pretty busy.  We seem to have eith...